Monday, January 24, 2011

Heaven or Hell? You decide.

Just waiting to be devoured.
Alright, it is January 24th and all of my posts have been about sweets. Many of you may be thinking, hasn't she made any New Year's resolution's? Why is she torturing us like this? What is wrong with her? Well my answer is, no, I have not made a single New Year's resolution and again, no, I am not torturing anyone. Nothing is wrong with me and I am just indulging you in some sweet treats. No master plans to make all of my friends fat as I try to stick to my "lifestyle change". (Imagine the sound of an evil master mind's laugh here)

Anyway, this one isn't even mine, so you can all send a big thank you out to Miss Kim, our babysitter. Not only does Miss Kim put up with the crap my children serve up on a daily basis, but Miss Kim comes up with some absolutely terrific recipes. Yes, Miss Kim is a "lifestyle change" killer and I trust my kids with her everyday, thank you very much!

There are times when I pull up and get out of the car to smell from the front walk the delicious aromas of wonderfully delicious things cooking up inside of this woman's house. Christmas time is especially dangerous because she finds time to make cookie platters for all of her friends and neighbors. These aren't your traditional one or two type platters either. She has every different kind of cookie or bar on this tray. I look forward to it every Christmas season and again, the smell when you walk into the house. Aaahhh, pure heaven, until the high pitch shrills coming from my children's mouths viciously snap me back into reality.

Now some of you may find this next recipe from Miss Kim to be pure heaven or on the other end of the spectrum pure hell. I still can not decide for myself on this. I think I am in limbo somewhere in purgatory. On one hand this is so deliciously good, the butter and sugar combating the slight salt, aaaahhhh, pure heaven, right? Then you have to weigh in the addictive nature you will develop after eating just one, pure hell I tell you. So there you have it, right in the middle, purgatory.

Although I feel torn inside between pure heaven and hell, I still plan on making this again and soon. I have all of the ingredients in the pantry and they are just beating down the door trying to get out. So without further a do...Carmel Corn.

Here is what I did:
Who knew styrofoam
could taste soooo good?
2 bags of puffed corn, not popcorn, but that airy puffed Styrofoam type puffed corn
1 1/2 cups of butter
2 cups of packed brown sugar
2/3 cups of Kayro syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

Bring the butter, brown sugar and the Kayro to a rapid boil and then time for two minutes, continually stir it. I actually turn on the timer to be sure and make sure you scrape down the sides to get the sugar granules down. It will be looking frothy by the end of the two minutes.

Then turn off the heat and add the vanilla and the baking soda and mix it good. It will continue to have a frothy look to it.

Have the puffs in a large roasting pan. I actually start off with them split into two pans because it makes the initial mixing easier otherwise it is spilling out all over the counter. (The first time I used the throw away kind and the second time I used two real roasting pans. It made no difference either way.)

Once you have the puffs into the two pans, pour half of the frothy carmel into each of the pans and stir to coat, then combine them all into one pan and give it one more turn.

Bake for an hour at 250, stirring the popcorn every 15 minutes.

Spread onto two cookie sheets lined with wax paper to cool, but please, give this a try when it is fresh out of the oven warm. You will want to die it is sooooo good.

So there you have it people. I think this is Miss Kim's own little way of torturing me for all of the crap my kids give her through out the day.

Thank you Miss Kim for everything you do. I truly appreciate your hard work, patience and your super yummy recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment