Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Butter Dipped and Sugar Coated, Need I Say More?

I'm on a diet. Wait no, Weight Watchers claims it has to be a lifestyle change, which I agree with, but I still call it a diet. When I have to continually watch every tiny morsel of food I put into my mouth, it's a diet. There are no if ands or buts about that.

It never fails that when I really really crack down on my lifestyle change, I crave sweets. They are my downfall by far. You want a brownie? Sure. You want some ice cream? Sure. You want some candy? Sure. You get the picture. Sweets are my thing, which is why I think I love baking so much. It is one of my favorite things to do.

Baking could be one of my favorite things to do because #1, I love sweets, #2 it makes the house smell soooo good and #3 when you are done, you have this wonderful sweet treat! See, it's great, except for the clean up, which I have already made very clear I hate doing.

Back to the reason for this post. Baking and sweets. Back in the fall, yes, I already know I am behind, I picked up the kids from the sitter and she said try this and held out this little sugar covered ball of baked goodness. Me being me didn't even bother to ask what it was, thank God I don't have any allergies, saw that it was covered in sugar and popped it in my mouth. AAAAAAAAAA tiny rays of sunlight came down from the sky and there I was floating into baked goodness heaven! What was it you ask?

Here they are in all of their sugary delicioius glory.
Mini Donut Holes. YUM! Imagine bite size butter, sugary, cinnaminy heaven. That is what these tasted like. They were so good, I thought I would give them a shot. They couldn't be that hard to make, could they?

My sitter forwarded me the recipe and here I am thinking how could these be better? Well it was fall at the time and what is ready in fall? That's right, pumpkin. Since we had just been to the apple orchard where they have wonderful pumpkin donuts, why not make these donut holes pumpkin too?

So here is what I did:
Donuts
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 can pumpkin, NOT the pumpkin pie stuff in a can
1/2 cup milk, I always use skim
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour

Yummy sugary coating
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon

Heat the oven to 375 and grease the mini muffin trays. I use the baking spray.
The little Pip making sure
that they are being mixed
properly.
Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter and nutmeg in a large bowl.
Stir in the milk and mix in baking powder, pumpkin and flour until just combined, so don't go crazy mixing, just until everything is combined. IF YOU ARE NOT A FAN OF PUMPKIN...just leave it out. They are still VERY VERY good!!!
Fill the mini muffin tins half way full.
Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes, they will be slightly brown. Don't over bake or they will be dry and no one likes a dry donut hole.

In a separate bowl melt the 1/4 cup of butter for the coating.
In another small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon for the coating.

Remove the muffins from the pan, dip into the melted butter and roll into the sugar and cinnamon mixture, set onto a cooling rack.

Let cool and serve, but I will tell you, these were absolutely delicious warm!

These are some what time consuming due to the butter dipping and sugar coating, but they are totally worth the work. I am not a fan of time consuming recipes, but if the outcome is delicious, I will do it. These are worth it. I promise.

Give them a try and let me know if you think they were worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment