Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mommy Guilt

You know that feeling when you know you could have done something more and you just didn't feel like it? Yeah, that was me, two nights ago when faced with the task of making dinner. Many of you already know, my dad suffered a massive stroke last Wednesday and since that day, I have felt like nothing short of shit. I have not been inspired or even cared really about dinner or even food for that matter, and rightfully so. My family however, isn't used to the I don't give a rat's ass approach to dinners. Hot dogs (they were at least cheese dogs) and mac'n just didn't cut it. Mac'n is what Payten calls Mac'n Cheese, just to keep you all up on the terminology.

Mommy guilt was taking over in a major way after that gourmet dinner, so guess where I turned? Not some mommy help group, no! I turned to the Internet! Which I suppose could be a mommy help group, but for me it is the recipe finding Mecca. Jasen will tell you, it's rare that we eat the same dinner twice. RARE. Hence the looks on their faces when hot dogs showed up for dinner.



Ooey gooey, cheesy goodness and not on a hot dog.
What did I find you ask? I found Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole. When I rolled this little dish out, I thought it was going to get a standing ovation, without even being tasted. I think it could have tasted like doggie do, Logen's new favorite saying, but it wasn't hot dogs, so they were welcoming it with open arms. Wait for it...the first bites...the first reactions...WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Ding ding ding!!! It's good mom! Yes, mommys got her groove back. Good bye guilt. See ya around.

I had some and it really was good and it was easy, but don't tell my family that! We may be making this one again! Maybe. Well, at least it will get into my book in the hopes that it will some day be made again. Maybe.

My mom always
used Uncle Ben's
rice.
Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole
2 cups cooked rice, I used wild rice, I love it.

3 cups of cooked chicken, kind of shredded, chunky

slices of swiss cheese, I used lacy swiss, which are bigger slices, so it just depends on how many to cover the casserole.

10 slices of ham, cut in pieces

2 cans cream of chicken soup, I used low fat

1/2 cup milk, I used skim

1/2 cup sour cream, I used low fat

10 ritz crackers, crushed

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp parsley

Cooked and right off the grill.
Just like a hot dog.
This is how easy it is. Cook the chicken breasts and shred. I seasoned them with some garlic and pepper.

Spray a 13x19 pan with cooking spray. Cook the rice according to the package and put onto the bottom of the pan. Then, arrange the chicken on the rice. Now, top with the swiss slices until covered. Top the cheese with the ham pieces.

Mix the two cans of soup with the milk and the sour cream until smooth and pour this evenly over the ham. Spread it around so the entire thing is covered.

Now, mix the crushed crackers, paprika, garlic powder and parsley in a separate bowl and then use that mixture to cover the entire casserole.

Bake it at 350 for 30 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment