Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Calling All Freegans!

Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed.


Come and get it, for FREE!
I got this definition from www.freegan.info although I already knew what a Freegan was. I had learned about Freegans from a news spot on Channel 9, here in Chicago, during lunch one day at work. Now that I am no longer currently employed, due to downsizing, I have to say, some of this Freegan stuff isn't so out there. I actually consider myself to be a Freegan in someways according to the definition and I never mind helping others.


All of you probably already know, I love cooking and especially baking. In the past, my co-workers were usually the recipients of many of my baked goods because can a family of four really eat all of that? Well, maybe. Should we? No. If I just let loose and ate everything I wanted, when I wanted, I would weigh 400 pounds and that would be a much BIGGER problem than all of this extra baked goodness. Here in lies my problem(s).


My position has been eliminated. Problem. I love to bake and there is always left overs. Problem, depending on how you look at it. If I eat all of these yummy baked goods, I will weigh 400 pounds and will not be a good role model of healthy eating for my kids. Problem.


If there was a problem Yo, I'll solve it. Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it. So sorry, the Sirius 90s on 9 in my car has been bringing out little tidbits of music that should have been long since forgotten, but anyway. 


Solution, Freeganism! Kind of. Now here's what I am thinking. If there are left overs from my baking extravaganzas, I get on here, blog about them and it is a free calling. (Insert the sound of a cattle bell and someone yelling come and get it here.)


First come, first serve, FREE. Send me a text, email, Facebook, whatever, let me know how many you want, you bring your own container to take it home in and it is yours.


Whaddaya think? Could this actually work? Let's experiment in Freeganism right now.
I have 6 of these little beauties waiting for someone to Freegan their asses. Let me know if you are interested. First come, first serve. Bring your own container to take. 


Just so you know, the friends I did give them too said, best cupcakes I have ever had and another wanted to know how to make the awesome frosting. 


Banana Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting
Cake Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 egg yolks
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
3 crushed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites, beaten


These are my whipped egg whites,
but the milk and flour for the
frosting looks very similar.
Combine the sugar and butter on low and add the egg yolks then beat on high until fluffy.
In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk them to be sure they are thoroughly incorporated with each other. Alternate, starting and ending with dry ingredients, the milk and the dry mixture. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla and beat until combined. Now, whip up the egg whites until stiff, but not dry and fold with a spatula into the batter.
 Brat 2 helping to whisk the drys together.


The perfect job for Brat 1. Mashing the bananas.
Bake at 350 until the toothpick comes out dry. About 15 minutes or so, but don't over bake! Dry banana cake is gross.


Brown Sugar Frosting
1 cup milk
5 Tbs flour
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 Tbs vanilla
1 tsp of salt if using unsalted butter


Whisk milk and flour together over medium heat until it thickens. Now, I have never done this here is my advice. STAY RIGHT WITH IT! IT GOES FROM THIN MILK TO THICK PASTE FAST!!! Once it is thick, set it aside to cool.
Combine the sugar, butter and vanilla and beat on medium for 5-10 minutes. Then add the thickened milk and beat again on medium until the graininess of the sugar is gone. I was very skeptical about the graininess going away, but it did! 


Frost the cupcakes and top with chopped pecans if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment