Sunday, June 19, 2011

Feel Like Makin Whoopee???

whoopee Informal
interj [wʊˈpiː]
an exclamation of joy, excitement, etc.
n [ˈwʊpiː]
make whoopee
a.  to engage in noisy merrymaking
b.  to make love
 
When I hear the word whoopee, I think of definition b listed above, but after I copied and pasted this definition from freedictionary.com, I got a giggle at how well definition a and b go together. hehehe. Everyone feels like makin whoopee sometimes and on this particular night I did too.

This type of whoopee involves ripe bananas, some smashing and a lot of whipping. Get your head out of the gutter. This isn't that kind of blog. I'm talking about Banana Whoopee Cookies.

I smashed and whipped and made a lot of whoopee, so much so, that I brought some to work and to a party. It was a good time and this is what I did:

Thank you bettycrocker.com for this picture.
For pictures of making whoopee, you will have to
go a different kind of blog and don't say you've
never been there, liar.
First, I have to say that I doubled the cookie dough portion of this because there just wasn't enough whoopee to go around with just one batch. I suggest you do this too or you are going to be wanting and needing more whoopee before you know it.

Preheat oven to 375
Dough (double below ingredients)
3 smashed very ripe bananas
1/3 cup of butter soft
2 oz cream cheese soft
1tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 pouch of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
2 TBS flour

Smash the bananas using a fork really good, stir in butter, cream cheese, vanilla and egg until well blended. Then add the cookie mix and flour and mix until very soft dough forms.

Using my medium cookie scoop or you can do a heaping tablespoon amount I scooped the dough out about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes. Right between 7 and 8 was good in my oven. The bottoms were browned nicely and they looked solid. The tops are not going to brown. They are going to stay very light. Let them cool 2 minutes on the tray and then take them off the tray and let them cool completely on wracks. 

THEY HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE MOVING ON OR THE FROSTING WILL MELT.

Frosting Filling (I did not double this and had MORE than enough for the doubled dough)
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter soft
1/3 cup Yoplait Banana Creme Yogurt (you only need one container of it). We could only find Yoplait in Banana Creme, but I am sure any type of banana flavored yogurt will work just fine.
1/2 block of cream cheese soft

Beat all of these ingredients on low until blended. Then whip it on high for 2 minutes. This is going to get really light a fluffy, kinda like Cool Whip, but lots sweeter. Then transfer this into a large ziploc bag and cut one of the corners off about 1/2 inch, so that you can easily frost the insides of the cookies. This saves a lot of time rather than doing it with a spreader knife.

Squeeze a circle of frosting onto the bottom of the cookie and top with another cookie, like a sandwich. Trust me, don't over fill these because when you go to bite into them, they will ooze frosting out all over. Yes people, I am aware that this post is chock-full of whoopee making innuendos. 

Once you have them all filled and topped, sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar. A sifter will do this good for you. Store them between sheets of wax paper and in the fridge.

I brought these Banana Whoopee Cookies to work and the party and after eating these everyone felt like makin a little whoopee. Thank you bettycrocker.com, although your name of banana flip cookies is not nearly as exciting as my banana whoopee cookies and I added and subtracted some ingredients to your recipe, but thank you for sparking my creative juices. Innuendos, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment