Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Right of Passage

Congratulations Class of 2011
It's that time of year again. It's a right of passage. It's a cause for celebration. It's graduation! Actually for our house, it is the first graduation. Yes, Jasen and I made it through school, although at times by the skin of our teeth, but none the less, we both did graduate. High school AND college. Yes, college too. This first for our household is for Logen. Our little Logi is graduating, wait for it, pre-school! (hands raised above our heads) Go Logi, go Logi!

Yeah, I know, pre-school graduation may seem pretty, how shall I say it, unimportant, but I will tell you for that little guy, you would have thought it was the biggest thing he has ever done. Technically, it probably is. Two years of school and now he is ready for the big time, Kindergarten.
Mrs. Handzik and Logen

We arrived in the parking lot to be greeted by many of our family members. This alone would have been enough excitement for Logen, as he loves having company, but when we all walked into school, his buddies were all there and although it was just pre-school, you could see the camaraderie between all of them, just like a group of high school seniors getting ready for their futures. It was all very similar in the way the talked, played and hugged. Really, right then, it totally changed my outlook on the unimportant pre-school graduation.

They went through their production of song and dance, which we video taped of course, and the teachers presented them with their caps and diplomas. Every single child looked so proud to be there in front of their families. It really was something. You could just feel their excitement. As we were leaving everyone was taking pictures, smiling and hugging and I got that nostalgic feeling. You all know what I am talking about. We've all felt it at one time in our lives, but I think I felt it because of the bonds that were made there at that school.

I have to be honest, when we first started to school, I thought I was going to be the outcast. The working mom that isn't there everyday to drop off and pick up their child, watching all of the other moms talk and knowing each other while I peered in from the outside. That's just what I thought would happen, but I was completely and utterly wrong. I am so thankful that I am able to take him to school at least one day a week, but I am just as thankful for the kind and caring moms that I got to meet and become friends with.

Our children formed bonds in pre-school and the families bonded as well. Our class suffered a great loss mid year. Everyone was affected in some way. It would be hard not to be affected. I know it rocked me to my core. It still does. It has taught me many many lessons. I carry her card in my purse as a constant reminder of the blessings I have and not to take anything or anyone for granted, ever. I will remember, always.

Tubbs and Izzy, the helpers
for this task. I always have
little helpers.
My sister in law asked Logen what he wanted for graduation and he told her, that hat, you know that graduation one. We thought that was just  so cute. I thought if that is what he thinks about graduation, that is what I am going to make him. I had seen these on www.skiptomylou.org and went back to look at them to be sure it was something I could make. I decided that this is what Logen associates with graduation, so I will do my best to make them.

Just about all you need
to get going.
Without further ado, I present the pre-school class of 2011 and Logen's Graduation Cap Cupcakes.
This is what I did:
Box cupcakes. We did yellow at Logen's request.
Tub Frosting, white. I think that the chocolate caps will show up better on white frosting.
Sprinkles, what cupcake is complete without sprinkles?
Bite size Reese's cups, unwrapped
Ghiradelli chocolate squares (TIP, there are 14 in each bag, cause it doesn't tell you on it!)
Fruit Roll Up
Chocolate Bark, one square

Bake the cupcakes as directed on the box and let them cool.
Frost them with the white frosting and sprinkle with the sprinkles.
Unwrap the Reese's cups and the Ghiradelli squares. Place the cups, large end down, a few inches apart on a wrack or baking sheet.
Cut the fruit roll up into mini strips. I used a pizza cutter, but I think scissors would work too, about 2 inches long.
Put the chocolate bark into a ziploc bag, melt it in the microwave, slowly on medium, periodically smooshing it around.
The tops are all glued on.
Clip off the corner of the bag and start squeezing a dab about the size of a pea onto the tops of the Reeses, immediately putting the chocolate Ghiradelli squares on top and let them dry.
Tassels attached.
Once they are dry now put a tiny little dab of chocolate onto the top of the square to use as "glue" to put on the strip of fruit roll up. Once they are all on, go back and put another small dab ontop of the fruit roll up to finish it off.
Once they are all dry, just set on top of the cupcakes.


There you go! Congratulations to every class of 2011, even the pre-school ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment