Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gettin Dippy Wit It

Christmas is a time for dips. Everyone loves a good dip and when you find a new dip, you just have to have it and the recipe.

This got me thinking. Yes I had time for thinking this morning, you know, in between getting breakfast, clothes for gymnastics and a cup of coffee for myself. GASP, something for myself! Anyway, I should warn you my best ideas usually come to me when I am in the bathroom. Yeah I know, gross, but for a mommy of two wild kids, that 30 seconds in the bathroom, usually less due to banging on the door, is my quiet time. Sad, but true. Back to my idea, dips.

My grand idea this morning is to post my favorite dips. The ones I love and the ones that others call, email and text to get the recipes for. Now we can all get dippy wit it!

Buffalo Chicken Dip-I make this all the time because men scarf it and it is so simple!
2-10oz. cans of chunk chicken, drained
2-8oz. packs of cream cheese (Thank you God for cream cheese) soft
1 cup of Ranch Dressing
3/4 cup of Louisiana Hot Sauce, now, if you like it zippier, do a full cup, if you aren't the zippy dip type, do 1/2 cup or less. This is what brings the heat to this dip, so play with it to fit your tastes!
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar, I like the skinny shreds, they melt better

Heat the chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat. Break up the chunks of chicken while cooking. Stir in cream cheese until melted and creamy, then add the ranch dressing and keep stirring until it is well mixed. Mix in half of the shredded cheddar and mix until that melts too. THAT'S IT! Believe it or not, that is it! Transfer dip to a mini crock pot or to a microwave safe dish and top with remaining shredded cheddar. Serve with celery sticks or tortilla chips. It's awesome. Jasen's favorite!


Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
The beginning of
a Pink Christmas.

I know this isn't a dip, but it is an appetizer and it is damn good. This recipe comes to us from Auntie Janice, the jello queen. Boy, I hope she made these for today's pink Christmas.

1 pound of bacon
2 cans of whole water chestnuts
2/3 cup of ketchup
1 cup of sugar
toothpicks

Wrap half a piece of bacon around each water chestnut and stab with a toothpick to hold it all together. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake one hour at 325. Drain off the grease and reline pan with foil.

To make the sauce, mix the ketchup and sugar, well. Spoon the sauce over each piece and place back onto the cookie sheet. Be careful not to get the sauce all over the toothpicks. Bake 30 more minutes and eat hot. YUM! These are another huge crowd pleaser. If you are smart, you will save some for yourself before you put them out for your guests or you won't get any.

Vidalia Onion Dip
2 cups of mayo, I use the only one I use, ever, Helman's1 package of shredded mozzarella cheese, if you can find an Italian blend of shredded cheese, get that, it's better
1 large Vidalia Onion, coarsely chopped, or if you have already gotten the Vidalia Chop Wizard, like I keep telling you too, use the big squares

Mix all ingredients together. Spread into a 8" baking dish. Bake 30 minutes at 375, until hot and golden. Serve with crackers. Again, could it get any easier. When you have to bring something to a party, offer this. They will love it.

Popper Dip
Dena just called for this one. Here you go popper fans.
2 packages of soft cream cheese
4oz of diced jalapenos
1 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar
1 cup of mayo
4oz. chopped green chilies
1 loaf of sour dough bread

Combine everything. Really people, the only way I could make this easier for you is for me to do it and bring it to your house and the answer is no, I will not be there to bring it, so just do it.
Hollow out the bread like a bowl, fill with the dip and bake at 350 for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet.

Blue Cheese Ball
2 packages of soft cream cheese
1 cup of crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup of minced onion
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
couple shakes of garlic powder, NOT garlic salt

Stir all ingredients. Is anyone seeing a trend here? Quick and easy, just like me.
Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, form into a ball. Serve with crackers.

LoraAnn's Cheese Ball
I got this one from a lady at work that brings this in as a treat for the office and word travels fast and if you are not in there quick, you don't get any dip.

2 packages of soft cream cheese
2 Tbs minced onion, can be the dried kind
4 Tbs Miracle Whip, NOT mayo, for once, not mayo
2 pkgs of Budding beef, diced up fine
You can also add a couple shakes of garlic powder and a LITTLE Worcestershire sauce too.

Mix everything at once. Serve with crackers or chips.

1 comment:

  1. I linked to you this week...This post is great! I am so making the Popper dip for Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete