Friday, November 19, 2010

That's What She Said

I have never handled a piece of meat that big.

That's what she said.

No really, when it comes to cooking, big meat intimidates me. I am now sitting here giggling to myself and contemplating deleting this whole post, but those who know me, should already know that I won't. Ok everyone let's concentrate here. We are talking about pork shoulder. Get your heads out of the gutter and get on track. Pork shoulder. Ok. I can do this.

As you already know, I LOVE The Food Network. I LOVE it. Every time I watch it, my mouth waters and I just start craving everything and anything. Jasen thinks it is a form of self torture, since I am on a never ending quest to lose weight and here I am just watching and wanting. I guess he's right. It is torture, seeing all of those delicious things and all of these people eating as much of it as they can stuff down. Jerks. Yes, jerks, but enough of that rant. I love The Food Network because it gives me ideas and plenty of them.

One of my favorite things on that channel is when they focus on BBQ. Come on, who out there can't resist the smell of a tasty dinner roasting on a BBQ? I know I love it, now. Let me start by saying I have not always been a big meat girl. (That's what she said.) That is until I met Jasen.

Jasen is a HUGE meat and potatoes kind of guy. That is how he was raised. That is what he comes from and that is what he loves. Meat and potatoes meet I think I'll have the pasta. What a match made in heaven. Yeah, our dinner experiences were polar opposites for many years, but I am starting to come around. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

It all started with a bite here and a bite there. Just the well done outer edges, of course, that pink in the middle and the juice grossed me out. Slowly but surely, he wore me down. Way down. Bring me a fillet, medium, with a bleu cheese crust and a baked potato with butter and sour cream and I will challenge you to try and take it away from me. Just try. You will lose. That is a promise and that makes my husband so proud.

Now that I am liking the meat (that's what she said), I am much more interested in trying to create tasty meals that includes it. Still the big meat intimidates me. (That's what she said.) There is just something about a big roast that makes me nervous. Maybe it is because all of that always seems dry to me. I don't know. I just don't like it, therefore, I don't want to make it. However, pulled pork is one of my all time favorites! You can't resist a heaping pulled pork sandwich, on a kaiser roll, smothered in slaw. COME ON PEOPLE! You just can't.

Enter my inspiration...the pulled pork sandwich and cole slaw.

Here is what I did:
Sent Jasen to the store to get the pork shoulder. 3-4lbs. The one he bought had the bone in. I have no clue if that makes any difference, but this one had a bone (that's what she said).

Bought the Tangy Tennessee Sauce from Tastefully Simple, which is another one of my favorite things. I sound like Oprah now with all of my favorite things.

The Sauce.
I read the directions on the jar, which said, put the pork shoulder in the crock pot, cover with half of the jar of sauce, cook on low for 6 hours. Remove meat, shred. Return the meat to the crock pot, pour in remaining sauce and heat through.

Yes, that was it. However, you all know me, I can never just do what it says. I had this rub. Yes a rub for the big meat (that's what HE said). It was a rub for pork, so I thought, hmmmm...this is pork, let's do this. So I rubbed the meat(that's what he said) and then did the directions from the sauce above.

That's it. Easy. Simple. Can't get any simpler. For real.

Right out of the crock pot
and already falling apart.

Coming to a table near you.
Six hours later, man, did it smell good in our house. I took it out. Put it on the cutting board and shredded that baby up with two forks.

It was so tender that it was barely any effort to shred. For those of you, like me, who didn't know how to shred meat. You take two forks and pull in opposite directions. Hence, pulled pork.

I added the rest of the sauce and heated.

While that was all cooking I made the slaw. Again, something that I really love, but had no clue how to make. It is so simple. Don't be intimidated.

Here is what I did:
If you haven't gotten yourself the Vidallia Chop Wizard, what are you waiting for? Go get it. One head of green cabbage, chopped up in that Chop Wizard, the smallest squares.

Half a bag of baby carrots, again, in the Wizard on the smallest squares.

One onion. You guessed it, Chop Wizard, small squares.

DOUBLE
2/3 cup of Miracle Whip do not use mayo. Don't even be temped to try.
3TBS vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
2TBS white vinegar
1/4tsp. salt
Get a good look.
You won't see many
of me. I'm usually
behind the camera.
1TBS lemon juice

So you double all of the above in a bowl. Get out your whisk and work it. Whisk it until it is all smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Get into it. This is the dressing. Pour it over all of the chopped veggies and mix it up good. Get it all coated. Let it sit in the fridge for at LEAST 2 hours. I really prefer to let it sit over night.

See! I eat my
veggies too!
There you have it. Seriously, one of the easiest meals I have ever made.  I thought big meat was intimidating, but I took the challenge and won. (That's what she said.)

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious I am going to have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog and wow! That was some big meat! (That's that she said).

    I'm excited you're wearing the apron I gave you too! :)

    ReplyDelete