Monday, October 11, 2010

Looks like Martha made them.

Last night I went outside of my comfort zone and made this Pumpkin Log with Cream Cheese frosting sprinkled with pecans. It tastes wonderful, but as Jasen put it, a deflated log would be a bad thing in some aspects. The recipe said to roll it in a towel generously sprinkled in powdered sugar. I asked for and needed prayers. Well, there weren't enough prayers, it was deflated. Long story short, I had extra pumpkin and cake mix and thought, hmmmmm.....what can I do with this?

Looks like Martha made them.
Not unless Martha has those crappy fake
wood looking counter tops just like ours.
Doubtful.
    
    
I am always trying to make something out of nothing or trying to make something better than the recipe originally is. That's what I do. A pinch here, a dash there, hell if all else fails, add butter and garlic. Better yet, add cheese. Yes, I am in love with cheese. I am sure if I keep up this blogging thing, you will all come to know of my loving relationship with cheese.

So, here I am with this extra pumpkin and cake mix. I kind of got the just of what to do to from the deflated log from the night before, but I wanted to keep it somewhat simple. Cupcakes. Not just any cupcakes. Pumpkin Cupcakes with Sweet Cream Cheese Frosting sprinkled with finely chopped pecans. People, I watch waaaaaay to much Food Network and I am continually thinking, I can do that, so here I am. Ingredients in front of me just waiting to become something fabulous!

Here is what I did:
Wait one minute! I have to warn all of you in advance. I am not a by the book cook. If it is the first time around making something, then I will usually follow the recipe, UNLESS, I just know it will be better if I add a little something here or there, which is usually what happens. I also don't measure very well. A little here, a little there. You get it, but I will do my best to give accurate descriptions of what I did, so hopefully we can all recreate the meal again.

With that said, here is what I did:
Half of a 15oz can of pumpkin-not the pie mix, the actual pumpkin
Box of yellow cake mix, minus the 1 cup I took out for the roll the night before
I followed the rest of the directions on the box, but I only had 2 eggs instead of 3.
Changed 1-1/4 cup of water to 3/4 and a dash of oil not 1/3 cup.
Couple shakes of the nutmeg, cloves and pumpkin pie spice and then a good couple shakes of cinnamon. I warned you I make it up as I go.

Mixed it all up, baked in paper cups at 350 for about 17 or so minutes. Took those babies out right when the testing stick came out clean. Took them out of the pan immediately and let cool on a wire rack. This part always kills my kids. Mom are they cool yet? No. Can we have one yet? No. What about now? No.

Frosting was something I found on line, but edited, of course.
1 block of cream cheese, soft
1 stick of butter, soft
1 tsp. vanilla
about 2 cups of powdered sugar

Mommy's taste tester.
Complete with
frosting face.
Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Tip: Do not taste it just yet. It doesn't taste good. Trust me. You will be tempted, don't do it.
Add the vanilla and mix.
Slowly add the powdered sugar a little at a time, mix medium to slow and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Keep adding it until it is the sweetness you prefer. Now, now is the time for taste testing! Payten and Logen just loved the frosting, so it must be good.

Wait until the cakes are completely cool, fill a ziploc with the frosting and cut the tip off one of the corners of the bag. Squeeze all of the frosting down and frost the cupcake! That's it! Easy!

Chop the pecans super fine and sprinkle the tops of the frosted cakes.

Done. Now you can have one.

So, here you have it. My first post on my first blog. I will know if these cupcakes were a success in a few short hours. I am using my work friends as guinea pigs for these, but from the smell in the kitchen, I know they are going to be delicious. Hmmm, maybe a little more cinnamon.

1 comment:

  1. They were delicious Dana! Thank you for creating this blog and allowing us to be your guinea pigs. I'm happy to sample for you any time. Can't wait to try this recipe myself!

    ReplyDelete