Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sweet Little Sliders

Little sliders ready for the next party.
Vegetarian sliders for all
of my meatless friends!
Here we are in midsummer and what are we all doing? Partying! That's right, it is prime season for the backyard bbq's and driveway parties. You all know them. You all have been to them. You all have wondered after going to all of these parties, what am I going to bring?

There are only so many dips you can bring before it has all been done already. How many times can you really eat buffalo chicken dip or popper dip in one weekend? Here is a fresh little idea that my friend Karen and I had talked about. We had both seen it on the web and thought, we could do that! That is how most of my creations start.

Red Bull cutter and my
little kitchen helper.
Here are some cute little sliders that you can take to your next party to wow all of your friends. They are not really that hard to make at all.

Here is what I did:

Box of brownies, prepared as the box calls. Let them cool and cut out circles. Now, normal people will use a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter, but I didn't have one at the right size. However, I have learned that a Red Bull can is the EXACT size needed to create the "meat" for my sliders.


Box of yellow cake, prepared as the box calls. Line your cupcake tins with paper liners and fill them slightly more than half way. You don't want the cupcake to rise over the top of the edge when you bake them or your buns are going to be misshaped, every girls nightmare.

After the sliders are cooled and cut and the cupcakes are cooled, unwrap them, then cut them in half to make your "buns". This my friends took the longest to do out of alllll of the steps.
Burger and bun just waiting
for the toppings.

Ok, now you need the frosting to make your "ketchup", "mustard" and "lettuce". I used the basic frosting recipe.

1 block of cream cheese, soft
1 stick of butter, soft
run this for 5 mins in the mixer with a whisk
Slowly add in 4 cups of confectioners sugar blending after each addition.
1 or 2tsp of vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy.

Ready for the buns.
Now, I separated the frosting into three bowls and used, red food coloring for ketchup, yellow for mustard and green for the lettuce. Pretty obvious. Now, I used the Wilton coloring you can buy in the grocery store and the colors did not pop like I wanted. They were more of a pastel. I am pretty sure you can buy special Wilton food colors to get a bright red or bright green, but I didn't have that so I improvised. Then all you do is make a squiggly outline and top with the top bun.

I wish I would have gotten the sesame seeds to top the buns, but I didn't have time, so my buns were seedless, but still cute!

My little kitchen helper
escaped from bed for
a late night slider.
I brought these to work for a picnic and everyone thought they were super cute. They really weren't that hard to make. If I can make these, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment